Final Portfolio :
Upload a folder titled with your name to my dropbox account (will email you a link) with your projects clearly labeled:
1-2 page (typed) designer statement answering the following questions in paragraph format:
What did you learn this semester? (Technical + conceptual)
How did you incorporate the Principles of Design in your project?
How is your view of the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign different after taking this class?
Which projects did you enjoy the most/the least?
Is there anything specific that you would have liked to have gone over?
How can you improve your design skills for the future?
How can I improve http://www.professorhopkins.com? Do you use it?
Anything else you would like to tell me?
This project supports the following learning outcomes:
- Examine the basic elements of print especially type and image.
- Incorporate the creative design process into a functional page layout solution.
- Use industry relevant software to design effective and creative layouts by combining imagery and text in traditional and non-traditional formats.
- Apply professional practices including the creative design process and design planning process; that help to ensure success, consistency and quality when developing a visual idea from a verbal communication or concept.
- Use the skills you have gained (and are gaining) in typography, the grid
and digital layout
1. Research newspaper layouts and pick 2-3 that you think are successful. Show me your inspiration for layout design.
Research the following Layout Design websites: http://npd.snd.org/
2. Watch these videos:
adobe indesign videos
beginning indesign + beginning indesign + newsletter
2. Assignment: Design a one-page spread of a fictional newspaper or magazine section. Think: Arts/Entertainment; Sports; News; could be a more specific hobby, etc.
It must include:
1. Mast Head : Type + Texture/color background. Subhead including website, date, weather, etc.
2. At least 2 headlines and 2 sub headlines
3. Unique column (at least 3 columns) layout using “placeholder text” using Adobe Garamond and only 1 other font.
4. Must use at least 3 different sized images (Can be original or stock photos) If using photos from the internet, you MUST give source credit below the image.
5. two pull-quotes
Final Size: Ledger standard size of 11 x 17″ saved as a InDesign document and a packaged PDF. Due on our last class April 28!
Thanks for a great semester! You all have created wonderful designs, learned relevant technology and stimulated positive critiques. I expect great things from all of you… Best of luck! – Prof. Hopkins
April 7: last work day for Illustrator Branding project + possible brainstorming + research of Newspaper Design project
April 14: NO SCHOOL: SPRING HOLIDAY
April 21: Critique on Branding Project + Final Portfolio requirements
April 28: InDesign in class Newspaper Design project + turn in Final Portfolio at end of class