This project supports the following learning outcomes:
- Examine the basic elements of print especially type and image.
- Incorporate the creative design process into a functional page layout solution.
- Use industry relevant software to design effective and creative layouts by combining imagery and text in traditional and non-traditional formats.
- Apply professional practices including the creative design process and design planning process; that help to ensure success, consistency and quality when developing a visual idea from a verbal communication or concept.
- Use the skills you have gained (and are gaining) in typography, the grid
and digital layout
1. Research newspaper layouts and pick 2-3 that you think are successful. Show me your inspiration for layout design.
Research the following Layout Design websites: http://npd.snd.org/
2. Watch these videos:
2. Assignment: Design a one-page spread of a fictional newspaper or magazine section. Think: Arts/Entertainment; Sports; News; could be a more specific hobby, etc.
It must include:
1. Mast Head : Type + Texture/color background. Subhead including website, date, weather, etc.
2. At least 2 headlines and 2 sub headlines
3. Unique column (at least 3 columns) layout using “placeholder text” using Adobe Garamond and only 1 other font.
4. Must use at least 3 different sized images (Can be original or stock photos) If using photos from the internet, you MUST give source credit below the image.
5. two pull-quotes
Final Size: Ledger standard size of 11 x 17″ saved as a InDesign document and a packaged PDF. Due on our last class April 28!
Thanks for a great semester! You all have created wonderful designs, learned relevant technology and stimulated positive critiques. I expect great things from all of you… Best of luck! – Prof. Hopkins