This project supports the following learning outcomes:
- Examine the basic elements of print especially type and image.
- Incorporate the creative design process into a functional page layout solution.
- Use industry relevant software to design effective and creative layouts by combining imagery and text in traditional and non-traditional formats.
- Apply professional practices including the creative design process and design planning process; that help to ensure success, consistency and quality when developing a visual idea from a verbal communication or concept.
- Use the skills you have gained (and are gaining) in typography, the grid
and digital layout
1. Research newspaper layouts and pick 2-3 that you think are successful. Show me your inspiration for layout design.
Research the following Layout Design websites: http://npd.snd.org/
2. Watch these videos:
adobe indesign videos
beginning indesign + beginning indesign + newsletter
TIPS + HELP for formatting text
2. Assignment: Design a two-page spread of a fictional newspaper or magazine section. Think: Arts/Entertainment; Sports; News; could be a more specific hobby, etc.
It must include:
1. Mast Head : Type + Texture/color background. Subhead including website, date, weather, etc.
2. At least 4 headlines and 4 sub headlines
3. Unique column (at least 3 columns) layout using “placeholder text”
4. Must use at least 3 different sized images. Images must be taken by you!
5. two pull-quotes
Final Size: Ledger standard size of (2) 11 x 17″ saved as a InDesign document and a packaged PDF. Due on our last class April 26!
-Final Portfolio DUE APRIL 26:
Upload a folder titled with your name to the server with your projects clearly labeled with initials first i.e. “KMHCollage1.jpg”:
1-2 page (typed) designer statement answering the following questions in paragraph format:
What did you learn this semester? (Technical + conceptual)
How is your view of the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign different after taking this class?
Which projects did you enjoy the most/the least?
Is there anything specific that you would have liked to have gone over?
How can you improve your design skills for the future?
How can I improve http://www.professorhopkins.com? Do you use it?
Anything else you would like to tell me?
I will give an overview lecture on Illustrator program basics such as :
What is Illustrator? What are vector graphics?
The PEN tool – the pen tool is one of the most important tools to master in Illustrator. Throughout the semester you will get better at the pen tool, but only with lots of practice!
Setting up new document
Selection vs. Direct Selection
Pen tool basics: add, subtract, convert, handlebars, curves, pencil
Creating/editing shapes + fill with color/stroke, Pen tool, Shape builder and Image Trace demo
Good link on drawing basics
Fun interlude: Play this game for a few minutes to practice the pen tool 😉
More pen tool resources:
Pen tool tips
More pen tool tips
Other general Adobe Illustrator tutorials
I will show many student examples today.
Remember that we are building a logo, business card (front and back), letterhead and novelty item. Start with the logo, then work from there to create a consistent and successful branding campaign.
Friday, March 1: Critique for Book Cover Design + Begin Branding Project
Friday, March 8: NO CLASSES: SPRING BREAK
Friday, March 15, 22, 29: Lab Day for Branding in Illustrator
Friday, April 5: Critique on Illustrator Branding
Friday, April 12: Intro to InDesign Newspaper Project
Friday, April 19: NO CLASSES: GOOD FRIDAY HOLIDAY
Friday, April 26: Last class + Final Portfolio Due
Identity system PDF
Identity Branding FINAL
Logo + Business Card + Letterhead + one novelty (pencils, mouse pad, tote bag, t-shirt, etc.)
Step One: Research – Search online for examples of quality marketing and branding strategies. Make a PDF document of 5 logos and 5 identity systems that you think are interesting and successful in marketing their product as well as graphic design principles.
See http://designspiration.net/ and Behance.net for inspiration and design research
Also see this site, I searched “Identity System” within the pins!
Iconic Logo Designers
hidden messages in logos! (Have you noticed these before?)
Check Vistaprint and Cafe Press for novelty item brainstorming
Step Two: Begin building your logo using vector graphics in Illustrator.
Final Step: Import vector graphics into an Illustrator document consisting of (4 ) 8.5 x 11″ art boards. Place your logo, business card (3.5 x 2″), letterhead and novelty item design each on a separate art board. We will critique them individually as well as an entire branding strategy.
We’ll spend today introducing the project, brainstorming and watching Illustrator training videos to prep for starting this project.
For tips additional tips on how to use the pen tool, see this link HERE.
total dimensions: 8.25″ x 10.75″ – including a 1/8″ bleed all around. Trim size: 8 x 10.5″